Elements have a central role in most spiritual practices. Therefor, learning the secret and power behind the 4 elements, as well as their correspondences and symbolism, is key if you’re interested in advancing your spiritual journey. Today, I will share with you how you can unlock the power of the 4 elements.
This post may contain affiliate links and I may earn a small commission when you click on the links at no additional cost to you. You can read my full disclaimer here.
The 4 elements are integral parts of matter or the physical universe, and the human body is a mirror of this cosmic order. As human beings, we are made and governed by these elements, but we also have something quite unique: the power to bend those elements and unlock their tremendous powers and qualities.
A little history of the 4 elements
Humans knew the power of the elements for thousands of years. The ancient Greeks were already studying their fascinating correspondances. As an example, the four elements align with the four states of matter that modern Science has agreed on: solid (earth), liquid (water), gas (air), and plasma (fire).
A few traditions also include a fifth element, which is usually called spirit or ether. Wuxing, a Chinese philosophy, is a great example of this. Wuxing is centered around the five ways (Five Elements, Five Agents, Five Movements, Five Planets, Five Processes, etc).
In Hinduism’s sacred literature, the “Great” elements are called Mahābhūta, and they’re fivefold as well. This quintessential fifth element is the life force or Prana that allows the Universe (or God, however you call it) to bring forth the creation of all things.
Understanding the 4 stages of creation
The four elements represent how everything in life comes to us: gifts, sickness, life, how events take place… Really, everything!
First, we have the emanation in the Spiritual realm. Second, this energy ripples out into the Mental realm where that “thing” emerges as an idea, a creation. Then, it turns into a feeling in the Emotional realm. Finally, it manifests in the Physical realm.
It is also important to keep in mind that the elements are divided into masculine and feminine energies. Make sure to watch my video on how to heal your inner divine masculine and divine feminine to understand this concept better. By the way, it has NOTHING to do with gender!
In a nutshell, Fire and Air represent the masculine: active, electric, powerful, in your face type of energy; while Water and Earth are feminine energies: magnetic, ready to “take in” sustenance, shelter it and give it back as life, abundance and fruits.
Fire is an unstable energy, just like when we look at a flame it is constantly shivering. This element is thought to be the first element that manifested.
When we look at the Big Bang Theory (not the show, although it’s very nice as well), how human civilizations started flourishing after taming fire, we can easily understand how it can be true, so whether it is REALLY the first element doesn’t matter.
Fire stands for light, energy, creativity, passion, power, love, strength, courage and action. Therefore, it is related to transformation, life and qi energy. This element gives warmth, expansion and drive ; but it can also burn and destroy if used incorrectly.
My tips to connect with the Fire element:
- Meditate on the flame of a candle. Personally, I love using this mystical Ornite Scented candle. Make sure to set an intention before you light the candle.
- You can also have passionate love making with your partner, eat more spicy food or simply go for a run, as any activity that “fuels” you and “burns” you up will allow you to reconnect to your fiery nature.
Air is not something we can catch, it adapts to the places it fills, being constantly on the go. It’s an element that symbolizes the mental body, thoughts, ideas, communication and the powers of the mind.
It’s the breath of life, intelligence, perception, learning and thinking, travel. But air isn’t always life giving, it can turn into tornados and destroy.
My tip to connect with the Air element:
- Switch from chest to abdominal breathing: This type of breathing is deep, relaxing and excellent for oxygenating the entire body while calming and soothing the mind at the same time. Here’s a few breathing exercises you can try.
Water is all about emotions. It’s the most fluid element, it adapts just like air (because they share the “wet” property). This element is all about healing, regeneration, change, fertility, devotion and unconditional love.
It is also about birth and rebirth. We drink water to stay alive, we also bathe in it to stay clean, that’s what water cleans, it brings forth new life. But water can also destroy, it can drown people, and when it is stagnant or polluted, it’s nothing but death, decay and bad health.
My tips to connect with the Water element:
- Drink enough water throughout the day: Being hydrated is vital to not only help your physical health and body, but also to get the energy within your body moving. Drinking a glass of water before and after any ritual or meditation practice is always a great idea!
- Take a soothing calming bath: Visualize your worries and all the unwanted energies come off of you and go down the sink. You can use lavender essential oil drops or these amazing dried flowers in your bath to add more calm and peace into your life as well.
The earth is grounded, stable, fertile, nurturing, caring and life bringing. It is a feminine energy. Seeds are brought inside of it and buried, but also burdens, corpses and dirt ; and through a transmutation, it brings forth fruits and vegetation instead of what once was dying.
The entire aspects of the physical material realm are represented by earth : birth, life, abundance, money, the body. It’s a practical energy force, you plant a seed and water it : a garden is coming your way. Neglect it, and you’ll find yourself in a desert.
Mother Gaia is all about regeneration and rebirth. There’s really a logical and “reasonable” side to Pacha Mama that allows her to be motherly, caring and generous but also brutally protective, cold and destructive with those who don’t respect and honor her.
My tips to connect with the Earth element:
- Walk barefoot: Take your shoes off, find some grass, sand or even simple earthy dirt to walk on. It will calm your head, and bring you clarity and lucidity.
- Look after a plant: There’s something really rewarding and heart-opening about planting seeds or crops and watching them grow and thrive. The more you participate in the amazing process of life (and naturally, death), the more grounded, mature and steady you will become, and the more power you will give to your manifestation abilities. To learn more about this, I recommend this incredible complete guide to the natural magic of herbs and plants.
Embracing your inner seasons
We may never be able to move mountains or tall buildings, but we can move the mountains resisting us within, and stay grounded when everything around us is trying to shake us down.
We can’t split the sea or turn water into wine, but we can control and direct our emotions, heal the world with our love and let our feelings pour down from us and unite us with all living beings.
We won’t ever be able to spit fire like dragons or throw fireballs out of our hands (even if that would be dope), but we can guide our inner drive to help the world thrive, and stop ourselves from burning this planet to the ground and destroying life around us.
We can’t create tornados or sand storms, but we will be able to summon the most incredible thoughts, be inspired and communicate the authenticity of our Higher Self with clarity and grace.
Books to help you unlock the secret of the 4 elements
To go even deeper and unlock the power of the 4 elements, here’s a list of spiritual books that can help learn more about the 4 elements and the importance of the elements in spirituality:
- The Four Elements by William R. Mistele: “The four elements reveal the mystery of life. The earth element enables us to be practical, solid, and down to earth. Yet also found within the earth element is a quiet ecstasy and inner silence in which the things we care about most in life are always near to us.”
- The Four Elements of the Wise: Working with the Magickal Powers of Earth, Air, Water, Fire – Ivo Dominguez, Jr: “The four elements are the pillars that uphold the manifest world and anchor spirit to matter. They are associated with a wide range of spiritual entities, from small elementals to divine beings. An in-depth exploration of the elements, their lore, history, correspondences, and use in spell work and rituals.”
- A Little Book on Big Freedom: Discover the Four Elements of Transformation – HeatherAsh Amara: “The four primordial elements not only inform our physical lives, they are potent symbols for aspects of our inner selves. When we learn to harness their power correctly, they can lead us toward radical personal transformation, or what best-selling author HeatherAsh Amara refers to as Big Freedom.”
- Astrology, Psychology, and the Four Elements: An Energy Approach to Astrology and Its Use in the Counseling Arts – Stephen Arroyo: “This book relates astrology to modern psychology and explains the use of astrology as a practical method of understanding one’s attunement to universal forces. Transcending the boundaries of separate disciplines, this work represents a major distillation of astrological principles.”
Thank you for reading this article, you can watch it in video format on my YouTube channel as well. Don’t forget to subscribe to my Newsletter to keep in touch with me and receive monthly resources and insights!
Sign up to our monthly Living Simplyy newsletter
Join our Living Simplyy high vibe tribe and get access to exclusive astrological updates, resources and content to help you navigate your spiritual journey. Opt out any time!